Center for Preparedness and Response
Rhode Island Department of Health, Providence
Job Summary: The Community Outreach Worker is a non-exempt position located at the RI Department of Health’s Center for Emergency Preparedness and Response. This is a part time position scheduled for 17.5 hours per week. The Community Outreach Worker will work alongside staff from the RI Department of Health to promote the Rhode Island Special Needs Emergency Registry (RISNER) and conduct community outreach activities targeted to assist vulnerable populations in preparing for disasters.
- Conduct targeted outreach to explain and promote the Rhode Island Special Needs Emergency Registry (RISNER)
- Facilitate RISNER presentations and personal preparedness training to partners and the general public
- Understand current RISNER utilization and create specific strategies on improvement
- Assist other outreach workers by identifying and attending meetings to register people for RISNER
- Attend meetings as assigned and/or requested by the Center for Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Data entry and basic analysis
- Order, stock and track materials
- Other related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness, public health and/or populations with access and functional needs
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Experience speaking/presenting to large groups of people and the ability to facilitate groups
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Publisher, Outlook, etc.) is required
- Proficiency in computer and internet navigation (online documents, search engine, government websites)
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English (required) and Spanish/Portuguese preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and equivalent work experience to meet needs of the position
- Experience such as may have been gained through employment health care or social services fields
- Past employment or volunteer experience working in the community
- Or, any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb stairs, reach, stretch, stand and bend. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions/ Work Environment:
- May need to work in a variety of uncontrolled venues/environments
- Flexible schedule including night/weekend hours required to meet the needs of the program
- Travel to any and all cities and towns in Rhode Island as assigned
- Must be able to sit for long periods and work most of the day on the road
- Provide own reliable transportation with proof of RI minimum requirements of auto insurance
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please include a letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to complete your application.