Certified (or soon to be certified) CHW Needed!
The Engagement Specialist will actively engage and involve community members in the new Health Equity Zone (HEZ) initiative in Providence’s 02907 zip code and provide important insight into how key social determinants of health impact residents within the West End, Elmwood, South Elmwood, Reservoir and South Providence neighborhoods, with a particular focus on food access, education, the environment, and housing. The Engagement Specialist will help to ensure that resident voices both inform the work of the HEZ and are included in initiative decision making.
The Engagement Specialist will report to Dominique Resendes, Manager of Community Building and Engagement at the West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support efforts to ensure that the 02907 community health assessment is informed by significant and diverse community voices to identify both community strengths and challenges.
- Help members of the HEZ collaborative to engage individuals, groups, organizations and communities in the assessment through many strategies.
- Actively organize and help lead community events and activities (focus groups, community meetings, community events, surveys, etc.) to collect community input.
- Identify, synthesize, and use information to help understand the strengths, challenges, and resources available to communities within the HEZ.
- Represent the HEZ at local events, community gatherings, workshops, trainings and with community leaders, local politicians, and community-based organizations.
- Share information with individuals, colleagues, and communities to help plan and carry out HEZ related programs, services, and advocacy.
- Engage people in often difficult discussions about health and behavior.
- Gain insights about needed resources and changes required to improve community health.
- Gather information from different sources to better understand individuals, families, and communities.
- Work with partners to understand barriers to accessing health care and other services.
- Assist communities to identify their goals, barriers to change, and supports for problem solving.
- Share community assessment results with colleagues and communities to inform planning and health improvement efforts.
- Must be a certified Community Health Worker in the state of Rhode Island, or actively working to become certified.
- High level of interpersonal skills and excellent writing and oral communication skills to collect data and engage residents.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and at least one other language commonly spoken by residents of the 02907 zip code.
- Resident of the 02907 zip code (Providence’s West End, Elmwood, Reservoir Triangle, or South Providence neighborhoods) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfort working with diverse communities
- An intrinsic desire to improve the health of individuals and communities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Familiarity with the assets, needs, challenges, opportunities present in the 02907 zip code.
- Ability to convey complex information in a clear and concrete manner.
- Ability to effectively work independently and in collaboration with multiple staff and partners.
- Must demonstrate professionalism in appearance and actions; handle difficult or stressful situations in a calm and respectful manner; demonstrate fair treatment of others and support a positive work environment.
- Ability to logically resolve problem situations and develop alternative solutions when faced with obstacles; use innovative ideas to resolve problems and develop effective solutions, take responsibility for actions.
- Ability to maintain sensitivity to individual, system, and cultural dynamics that affect behavior and relationships
- Ability to build and sustain trust and rapport with community members based on listening and respect.
This is a part time consulting position and will require evening and weekend work. The consultant will be expected to work approximately 120 hours between January 3 and June 30, 2019. Continued work will be contingent on available funding and initiative priorities. Benefits include the opportunity to be part of a dynamic community based team, opportunities to learn about and help address important community issues, great networking, and professional development.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via e-mail to Dominique Resendes at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on Monday December 16th.