Job Title: Community Outreach Specialist
Organization: West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation
Location: 224 Dexter Street, Providence, RI
Start Date: August 1, 2020
Accessing Home Service Description
Community Outreach Specialist
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation
Are you passionate about affordable housing access and community development? Join the West Elmwood team as the Community Outreach Specialist and you’ll gain valuable skills, exposure to leaders in the field, and experience that will strengthen your resume. Affordable housing experience not required, only a willingness to learn and a passion to serve others! Apply today!
This position is part of the Accessing Home AmeriCorps program. Accessing Home AmeriCorps members serve to alleviate the economic challenges faced by low- and middle-income households by delivering housing stabilization services at non-profits and municipal organizations across Rhode Island.
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation (WEHDC) is a community development corporation that works to promote the development of healthy, sustainable communities through housing services to help individuals/neighborhoods meet their affordable housing needs. We work with partners/residents to build houses, communities and lives by investing in real estate and infrastructure in the West End of Providence and RI since 1970. The Community Outreach Specialist (COS) will connect tenants to WEHDC programs and external assistance as needed and will facilitate a dialogue between residents, Property Management, and WEHDC. The COS will also ensure that WEHDC tenants are actively involved in the 02907 Health Equity Zone, a Collaboration of 02907 Stakeholders led by WEHDC that address 4 social determinants that contribute to overall health outcomes: education, food systems, environmental conditions, and housing.
● Orient new residents to the WEHDC properties and programs and serve as a referral source and liaison as needed:
• Refer tenants to WEHDC programs and services as well as external rent/utility assistance, case management services, legal services, and other resources needed
o Track these referrals in WEHDC’s client management system.
• Assist residents in understanding requirements for tenancy made by Property Managers, including on time rental payments. Facilitate discussions between residents and Property Management as needed.
• Develop an avenue for dialogue between WEHDC tenants, WEHDC staff and Property Management
• Collaborate with the 02907 Health Equity Zone to engage WEHDC tenants and community residents in developing solutions to address the 02907 HEZ pillars: housing, food systems, education, and environment within 02907.
• Coordinate community events, such as resource fairs, to generate positive rapport between the property owner and residents. Make residents aware of available community resources and programming.
• Attend Accessing Home Orientation, bi-weekly Accessing Home Professional Development Training and debriefs (not to exceed 20 percent of total hours served).
• Provide services to at least 85 households
• Recruit at least 6 volunteers to support community events.
• Attend Rhode Island AmeriCorps statewide events & training.
• Submit bi-weekly time sheets, service logs, and reports to Accessing Home.
• Become certified Resident Services Coordinator.
• Attend community meetings including Neighborhood Association Meetings and City Council Ward Meetings.
● Produce community resource documents to promote community access.
● Organize and facilitate resident meetings.
● Problem solve with residents when appropriate.
● Provide professional communication and leadership in a variety of meeting/presentation settings that support open, honest communication and inclusion of diversity.
• If bilingual, assist in translating announcements and resources into Spanish.
• Educate staff and property management team about the needs of and services available for residents.
• Strong computer skill, familiar with Microsoft Office, and willingness to learn CounselorMax.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Desire to provide service to the community, highly motivated, well organized, self-starter and team player.
• Proficient in Spanish.
• Occasionally available on weeknights and weekends
• Be a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Have a high school diploma or equivalency
• Have served in AmeriCorps no more than three times (the lifetime maximum is four terms of service as an AmeriCorps member)
• Has not been convicted of murder or sexual assault and is willing to undergo an National Service Criminal History Check
• Be committed to the Accessing Home program’s ethic of service and personal and professional development of its participants
• Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in all required trainings and events across Rhode Island
• Committed to completing an entire service term; members must serve from September 1, 2020 to August 27, 2021 and complete 1700 hours
• Available to regularly serve 35 hours per week
• Living Allowance of $557.69 pre-taxes/bi-weekly
• Education Award of $ 6,095.00
• Loan interest accrual payments, if eligible
• Health Coverage (excludes dependents)
• Childcare assistance, if eligible
• Training, Professional certification as a Resident Services Coordinator
How to Apply
Submit your application via our online form. In addition to your application, please submit your resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due August 1, 2020. To request a special accommodation please contact Joyce Welch at email@example.com.
For questions about this position, contact:
Candace Harper, 401-453-3220 ext. 21 Additional information on AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.org.