West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation (WEHDC) serves as the backbone agency of the 02907 Health Equity Zone (HEZ). A Health Equity Zone (HEZ) is an innovative, place-based approach that brings people together to build healthy, resilient communities across Rhode Island.
The 02907 community has seen a disproportionately high number of COVID-19 cases as compared to other parts of Providence and across the state of Rhode Island.
The 02907 HEZ is seeking temporary Community Health Workers to begin immediately. The Community Health Worker will work with the 02907 Health Equity Zone to provide culturally appropriate support to 02907 residents related to COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, and service delivery. Based upon the status of the COVID-19 pandemic as of the Fall, the need to continue this program will be reevaluated
The CHW will report to the Resident Health Specialist.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establish relationships with trusted community leaders to identify and document cultural and structural barriers that interfere with accessing testing and adhering to response guidance.
- Assess the barriers that exist for those who need to seek COVID-19 testing and provide language, transportation, and/or employment support.
- Assess the needs of residents in isolation and provide community-based referrals to the necessary supports.
- Collect and relay essential needs information to the 02907 HEZ and state agencies to ensure supports are being addressed in real time.
- Relay vital COVID-19 information to residents through multiple channels and address frequently asked questions related to testing, contact tracing, and/or isolation.
- Identify community driven solutions to testing and contract tracing barriers.
- Act as the liaison between residents, the 02907 HEZ, and the contact-tracing team at Rhode Island Department of Health.
- Gain insights about needed resources and changes required to improve COVID-19 response in the 02907 community.
- Community Health Worker in the state of Rhode Island, or actively working to become certified preferred.
- Extensive networks within the 02907 community and relationships with 02907 community leaders.
- High level of interpersonal skills and excellent writing and oral communication skills to collect data and engage residents.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and at least one other language commonly spoken by residents of the 02907 zip code.
- Resident of the 02907 zip code (Providence’s West End, Elmwood, Reservoir Triangle, or South Providence neighborhoods) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Comfort working with diverse communities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Familiarity with the assets, needs, challenges, opportunities present in the 02907 zip code.
- Knowledge of the direct service organizations in Providence.
- Ability to effectively work independently and in collaboration with multiple staff and partners.
- Ability to maintain sensitivity to individual, system, and cultural dynamics that affect behavior and relationships
- Ability to build and sustain trust and rapport with community members based on listening and respect.
This is a part time position and will require evening and weekend work. The CHW will be expected to work approximately 20-25 hours per week between July 13- December 30. Continued work will be contingent on available funding and initiative priorities.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via e-mail to Dominique Resendes at email@example.com.