United Way of RI
Full Time, Permanent
Summary: United Way of Rhode Island’s mission is to unite the community and resources to build racial equity and opportunities for all Rhode Islanders. The Chief Impact and Equity Officer serves as the lead staff for United Way of Rhode Island’s drive forward the key strategies of the organization’s equity, grant-making, public policy, research and evaluation and United Way of Rhode Island’s 2-1-1 work. This position leads a department focused on developing and implementing the direction of key programs and initiatives designed to achieve the strategic goals in United Way of Rhode Island’s Live United 2025 Strategic Plan. In addition, the position serves on the organization’s executive leadership team and serves as a key external representative of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead and direct the community impact strategy for the organization to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive where racial equity and justice is at the center of all we do.
• Partner with the Community Investment Committee, a Board committee, to determine the strategic direction of United Way of Rhode Island involvement in addressing community challenges.
• Lead the implementation of strategies designed to accomplish the community goals outlined in the strategic plan of United Way of Rhode Island.
• Lead the annual and multiyear grant-making processes for United Way, including selection of proposals and approval by United Way of Rhode Island volunteer leadership.
• Develop strategies to attract additional resources for Community Investment work, including grants, state allocations, and individual donors.
• Continuously measure progress toward United Way of Rhode Island community goals and adjust strategies to reflect measurements and reality.
• Engage with diverse staff to promote trust, collaboration and partnerships between departments and leadership.
• Serve as the organizational co-lead for United Way of Rhode Island’s work in diversity, equity and inclusion.
Community Engagement and Community Services (211/POINT)
• Lead the operations of direct services provided by the Community Services team (211/Point).
• Enhance the organizational direction and system redesign to ensure 211 meets the health and human service needs of Rhode Islanders.
• Build relationships with all community stakeholders, including agency leaders, government officials, corporate representatives and other funders to advance the community goals of United Way of Rhode Island’s strategic plan.
• Build relationships with state officials, community leaders, elected officials, United Way of Rhode Island staff, Board of Directors, and Community Advisory Board and others to engage them in efforts to promote United Way of Rhode Island priorities.
• When necessary, fill in for the President and CEO of United Way of Rhode Island at community events or functions related to the community goals of United Way of Rhode Island.
• Support the fundraising efforts of the United Way of Rhode Island by participating in activities with corporate partners, workplace campaign, fundraising events, etc.
• Represent United Way of Rhode Island in the community on boards and committees.
• Lead and oversee United Way of Rhode Island’s public policy and research agenda.
• Partner with Our Director of Public Policy and Research to develop an annual legislative agenda that advances the community work and goals of United Way of Rhode Island.
• Work with staff and volunteers to develop plans for engagement of Executive branch officials and municipal leaders to advance the community work and goals of United Way of Rhode Island.
• Build relationships with local policymakers to advance the goals in United Way of Rhode Island’s strategic plan.
• Ensure the entire organization understands the policy agenda and positions the organization is taking, and has the information necessary to discuss those positions, if asked.
• Effectively manage the team of research and data scientists performing social, economic research, qualitative and quantitative research using statistical analyses and methodologies. Work with Research and Evaluation team to develop cutting edge research methodologies to drive decision making in community impact investments and public policy.
• Serve as a member of the executive leadership team for United Way of Rhode Island.
• Contribute to conversations focused on other areas of United Way of Rhode Island’s business.
• Collaborate with other members of the senior leadership team on organization-wide projects.
• Contribute to the development of organizational budgets, work plans, and priorities.
• Strategic engagement with the UWRI Board of Directors, including but not restricted to monthly updates, collaboration on community impact and strategic equity initiatives
• Complete organizational tasks as delegated by the President and CEO.
• Directly supervise the Director of Policy and Research, Director, Grantmakers Council of RI, Director of Grants and Strategic Initiatives and Director of 2-1-1 and Point as well Department administrative support.
• Lead the full Community Investment Department and 2-1-1/Point staff to accomplish the goals outlined in United Way of Rhode Island’s strategic plan and in yearly operational plans.
• Develop yearly and multiyear budgets for the Community Investment department that includes budgets for each area of work.
• Ensure members of the department are meeting benchmarks and targets as part of the annual operational plan.
• Represent the department on organizational committees or delegate department representation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree Required, Master’s or other Advanced Degree Preferred or relevant experience
• 5 – 8 years of experience in the areas of nonprofit programming, grantmaking, government relations, public policy, and research/evaluation required.
• Demonstrated experience leading efforts surrounding programs focused on racial equity and/or health equity
• Previous management experience required.
• Strong communications skills (written and verbal)
• Excellent relationship-building skills
• Proactive, organized and able to work in a fast-paced, team environment.
• demonstrate integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly and truthfully with others
• demonstrate an enthusiasm for professional development acquiring new skills and knowledge to enhance role.
• demonstrate a commitment to individual and team-based assignments
• demonstrate quality assurance by producing accurate and thorough work
• demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with others
• demonstrate valuing the diversity of others’ opinions and experiences
• demonstrate sound reasoning and good common sense
• demonstrate the ability to meet and exceed customer expectations
• demonstrate active participation in departmental, team, and full-staff meetings
• This job description is intended to convey the essential functions of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.