Charlesgate North Apartments
Part Time Community Health Worker for Older Adults
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy pointed out in recent years that the nation is confronting an epidemic of loneliness. Research showed 22% of adults were affected by loneliness and Murthy noted that loneliness was associated with “an increased risk of heart disease, dementia, depression, anxiety, sleep disturbances and even premature death” (NPR, 5/11/20).
Charlesgate North Apartments is hiring a PT Community Health Worker to assist their older adult residents with managing feelings of loneliness, anxiety and depression and reducing isolation through technology assistance and forging connections with a social support system.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via email to Sarah Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Community Health Worker position at Charlesgate is for 20 hours/week, with some flexibility desired in scheduling during evenings and weekends. Prior to commencing employment, the hired CHWs will undergo special training in providing coping skills on paid time through the Community Care Alliance.
• Establish working relationships with housing site resident leaders and community-based organizations
• Work with residents to assess their healthcare and social service needs and refer them to
appropriate services where possible
• Special attention to detecting and supporting residents with loneliness and depression
• Work with residents to set health-promoting goals and help them meet these goals
• Assist residents with learning how to use grant-provided Ipads to access telehealth
appointments and wellness management programs and resources, and to connect socially
with their support system of friends and family, spiritual guide, cultural enrichment etc.
• Interest in working with the older adult population and experience with them preferred
• Strong listening and communication skills
• Comfortable and genuine in expressing empathy and compassion
• Respectful, open-minded and nonjudgmental toward others with differences
• Ability to help facilitate communication among a variety of different individuals from a
variety of backgrounds
• Working competence with internet and Ipad utilization
• Community Health Worker certification preferred
• English language
• High School diploma or GED
How to Apply:
To apply, please email your resume and a brief cover letter to Sarah Lawrence at
The Community Health Worker Association of Rhode Island (CHWARI) is seeking
immediately to hire a part-time Community Health Worker at 20 hours a week to assist
older adult residents at Charlesgate with managing feelings of loneliness, anxiety and depression and reducing isolation through technology assistance and forging connections with a social support system. These positions are funded by a Rhode Island Foundation grant and continuation depends on further grant funds being available.
Charlesgate North Apartments LP is a low-income housing apartment currently subsidized by
the federal government’s HUD (Housing and Urban Development Division). The building
provides stable housing and assisted living services for the elderly and adults with disabilities.
Charlesgate is proud of its history in providing assistance to our most vulnerable citizens. In
1972, three businessmen joined forces to build Parkis Place Apartments, providing sustainable,
affordable housing to the local community. The mid-1970s brought the development of
100 additional units and the campus would continue the vision of providing 300 affordable
housing units with spectacular views of downtown Providence, and a skilled nursing facility with
the state’s first Alzheimer’s memory care unit. In 1981, the final building was constructed on the
Randall Square campus, adding 100 units of affordable independent living. Charlesgate now
manages over 800 apartments and nursing home units in Providence. In 2001, Charlesgate
became one of the first providers of affordable Assisted Living in the state of Rhode Island. As a
result, low-income residents were provided with the opportunity to receive the best possible
assisted living care at costs well below other area assisted living residences. Recently
Charlesgate added Pinnacle Home Health to their continuum of care. Pinnacle partners with our
nursing care, assisted living and independent programs to provide excellent personal care,
rehabilitative and home health services.