The Community Health Worker (CHW) is a peer who has experience navigating Rhode Island’s health system for themselves, a family member, or through previous employment. In partnership with Integra and the Pawtucket Housing Authority, the Full-Time CHW will assist adults residing at Fogarty Manor and Burns Manor with accessing telemedicine services.
The CHW will play a critical role in implementing a pilot program aimed at improving utilization and access to telemedicine for older adults. The CHW will provide education and support for the senior residents to access their providers’ telehealth services. The CHW will be skilled in establishing rapport and building trust with clients to empower residents to achieve their health goals and manage their chronic conditions.
- Works with the Pawtucket housing authority Resident Health Coordinator to coordinate information sessions, education, and outreach to residents
- Provide support and education to residents using technology, such as an iPad, in making telehealth appointments with their Medical Provider
- Establish relationships with community-based organizations, such as the Pawtucket-Central Falls Health Equity Zone and others, to provide residents referrals when appropriate
- Follow all policies and procedures for timely documentation, privacy, equipment handling, and personal protective equipment outlined by RIPIN, Integra, and Pawtucket Housing Authority
- Utilizing motivational interviewing skills and culturally sensitive methods to collaborate with patients to identify social determinants of health and areas of need within their community environment
- Coordinate with residents and their providers to follow up with referrals, outcomes tracking, and other community supports as identified
- Actively participate and complete training and professional development activities
- Accept other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Interest in working with the older adult population
- Demonstrated written and verbal fluency in Spanish required
- Strong technology skills to assist in the use of multiple telehealth platforms; proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity towards, relate to, form trusting connections with, and motivate consumers as a peer mentor and to addressing barriers to care, health, and wellness
- Knowledge of Rhode Island health systems, terminology, supports, and services
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers, consumers, families, service providers, health plans, etc.
- Skilled and/or willing to learn and initiate motivational interviewing techniques with consumers
- Demonstrated prior success in accessing community-based resources in Rhode Island
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and tasks
- A deep understanding of, commitment to, and ability to carry out the mission, vision, philosophy, and values of RIPIN
- High School diploma or GED
- Community Health Worker certification preferred; non-certified incumbents are expected to earn CHW and Older Adult Specialty Certification within 18 months of hire date
- Personal experience navigating state and community services and programs on behalf of self or family member
- Previous experience supporting families or individuals with special care needs or disabilities or families or individuals accessing health programs and services
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- A combination of education and experience demonstrating acquisition of the skills and abilities required
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb stairs, reach, stretch, stand, and bend.
- The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Community Health Workers are required to climb up to three flights of stairs to conduct home and community visits
- The primary work location is a climate-controlled indoor senior housing building or office environment; however, the employee will also be required to conduct visits in private apartments and various community locations
- The work is based in senior housing facilities, which may bring an elevated risk of exposure to COVID-19 or other infectious diseases
- Must have suitable space to work remotely at home as needed
- Must be able to provide own reliable transportation to drive between housing locations and or community setting
- Flexibility for occasional travel related to job requirements
- Willingness and ability to work limited evenings and weekends as needed
- Provide own reliable transportation with proof of RI minimum requirements of auto insurance
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics describe
- d here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please include letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to complete your application. Click on “RIPIN” at bottom and scroll to their “Careers” section: