Salary: $19 to $21 per hour, based on experience
Start Date: 05/24/2021
Full Time, Permanent
Bilingual English Spanish
Sojourner House (www.sojournerri.org) is a comprehensive domestic and sexual violence agency with offices in Providence and northern Rhode Island. The Community-Based Advocate will work with local community partners to provide drop-in hours, support groups, referrals, and scheduled appointments with clients of domestic violence and sexual assault. This role will provide assistance to Spanish-speaking clients through the intake process. The Community-Based Advocate provides case management services to Spanish-speaking clients who are residing in emergency crisis units.
● Build and maintain relationships with organizations and assist with on-going outreach efforts to communities that serve under-represented groups (including the refugee population, undocumented victims, clients in recovery, etc.)
● Provide individual advocacy, support groups, and referrals to victims of abuse.
● Seek and obtain resources for victims of domestic and sexual violence
● Assist Spanish-speaking clients with the intake process, and help with providing coverage at the Drop In Center
● Provide assistance with the Sojourner House hotline, and provide support and referrals to clients who are in crisis or seeking resources
● Provide case management for clients who access Sojourner House’s emergency crisis shelter/housing program
● Provide presentations to community partners about the dynamics of domestic violence, sexual assault and Sojourner House’s services
● Provide technical assistance to community partners to ensure that clients are appropriately screened for DV/SA and referred for follow-up services
● Other related duties as assigned
Experience and Skills:
● A minimum of two to three years experience in human or social services;
● Ability to speak English and Spanish fluently (both written and oral) is required;
● Familiarity with domestic violence, sexual assault, and/or gender-based violence issues;
● Must be organized and detail-oriented;
● Be computer literate (Word, Excel, and general Internet skills);
● Have familiarity working with individuals of different cultures and backgrounds;
● Have experience developing and delivering community presentations;
● Have a demonstrated familiarity with LGBTQ, HIV/AIDS, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations;
● Possess the ability to lift 25 pounds;
● Have comfort working individually and in teams;
● Have a familiarity with social service services in Rhode Island;
● Have the ability to work an irregular work schedule (subject to change), including some 12:00 to 8:00 p.m. shifts during the week and one shift on the weekend.
● Applicant must pass a BCI check.
● Applicant must have reliable access to a vehicle.
How to Apply:
Please forward your resume and a cover letter that details how you meet the requirements of the job by email, with the subject line Community-Based Advocate, to firstname.lastname@example.org. A cover letter is considered an essential part of the application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions are encouraged.
Sojourner House is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. To learn more about Sojourner House, please visit www.sojournerri.org.