CITY OF EAST PROVIDENCE
Pay Grade 32 ($42,456-$50,315)
The Elder Resource Specialist provides information, referral and support to East Providence, older adults and their caregivers. The position is located at the East Providence Senior Center, 610 Waterman Ave., East Providence. The Elder Resource Specialist is a full-time position, (35) hours per week under the direct supervision of the Director of Senior Services.
High School degree, certification or willingness to become certified as a Community Health Worker in Rhode Island. Experience navigating systems used by older adults and their caregivers including but not limited to housing, food, Medicare and Medicaid, transportation, end of life planning, and human services; experience in the field of aging and knowledge of the challenges faced by older adult populations and their caregivers; working knowledge of computer and internet communication; operation of standard office equipment, including multi-line telephone, photocopier, facsimile and personal computer using standard word processing and database software; understanding of HIPPA regulations; Bilingual, Portuguese or Spanish preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides information, support and referrals to older adults and their caregivers. This is done both telephonically and face to face.
• Assists older adults and caregivers with system navigation of Medicare/Medicaid, subsidized housing, assisted living, long term care facilities, nursing homes, transportation, long term care, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, adult day services, and independent living etc.
• Assists older adults with filling out applications such as those needed for financial, housing and food assistance.
• Maintains confidentiality.
• Manages, receives and stores all protected health information in compliance with HIPPA.
• Works with East Bay Community Action to recruit, train, and manage Retired Senior Volunteers assigned to the East Providence Senior Center.
• Facilitates and coordinates as needed, programs and support groups offered at the Senior Center.
• Develops and maintains relationships with partner organizations to meet the needs of older adult residents, Senior Center members and caregivers.
• Attend workgroups and committees as assigned.
• Documents interactions, contacts and program attendance of residents and members.
• Works as a team member with Senior Center staff and city employees to provide positive customer service to older adults and their caregivers in East Providence and others who live in surrounding cities and towns who are members of the East Providence Senior Center.
• Other duties as assigned.
Apply online at:
Application and resume must be submitted no later than June 9, 2021 by 4:00 p.m.
At the City of East Providence we celebrate the diversity of our citizenry, and are proud to encourage inclusiveness in our workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.
ADA/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER