RI Free Clinic
Bilingual English Spanish
POSTED: June 2021
Patient Navigator/Community Health Worker (40 hours): The full-time Bilingual Patient Navigator/Community health Worker will work as a strategic partner with Clinic staff and volunteers to further our model of high-quality, community-based healthcare services for uninsured adults. Reporting to the Clinic Practice Manager, they will work with RI Department of Health Programs including Wise Women Program and Women’s Cancer & Colorectal Screening Programs, as well as other Clinic interventions and programs, community resources, and Electronic Medical Records.
- Serve as program liaison between the Clinic and RI Department of Health.
- Identify and enroll Patients in the Wisewoman Program and Women’s Canner Screening Program, and additional programs including smoking cessation and others.
- Assist patients to overcome barriers and support adherence to program activities.
- Provide exceptional navigation to connect patients with resources, and remove barriers to health care in general.
- Support medical providers by providing tools and resources to help patients, including regular monitoring of health indicators including blood pressure at home.
- Take patient vital signs, height and weight; record information in Electronic Medical Record and prepare patients for examinations.
- Perform EKGs and waived testing (Glucometer, Urine Dips).
- Coordinate access to community-based activity such as YMCA memberships.
- Perform tracking, follow up, and data collection/maintenance to monitor client progress, and support grant reporting.
- Work with clinic nurse and staff to ensure efficient patient flow during clinic sessions.
- Greet patients, volunteers and Clinic guests.
- Maintain timely and accurate records and documentation of specific deliverables for care.
- Outreach to patients in a timely manner aligned with Clinic priorities & program guidelines.
- Provide assistance to develop and generate reports from Electronic Medical Record.
- Assist staff with data collection for grants and reporting.
- Bilingual staff will work with Clinic & Wellness Nurses and other providers to provide interpreter services as necessary.
- Facilitates referrals to outside sources, tracks referrals & informs patient of upcoming appointments by phone & by mail.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Critical thinking skills, initiative, reliability, follow-through, flexibility, and responsibility are required.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Related work experience preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and OSHA requirements.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Commitment to the Clinic’s mission and volunteer model of Medical Home care.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- Must be able to stoop, bend and turn without difficulty.
- Meet with patients in the community; at their home or other community setting.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
Rhode Island Free Clinic (www.rifreeclinic.org) provides free comprehensive primary health care to uninsured, working poor, and low-income adults; and, serves as an educational site for trainees in health care fields. Care is provided through a dynamic statewide network of volunteer medical professionals working with academic, medical, and community partners, leveraging robust health care resources with a vitality that is unmatched in Rhode Island and remarkable in the nation. In 2020, the Clinic mobilized nearly 600 volunteers and community partners to provide over 13,000 patient visits to underserved adults, and over 5,700 hours of training for students in health care fields.
Please email RESUME and COVER LETTER to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No calls please.