Housing Network of RI
Full-Time, Temporary through December 31, 2021
This position is a great opportunity for someone looking to gain experience with this fundamental ‘social determinant of health’- housing, and who can put the hours toward CHW certifciation.
About the Housing Network of Rhode Island (HNRI)
HNRI is the State’s membership organization for non-profit agencies that are committed to the development of affordable homes and vibrant communities across Rhode Island. We are the backbone organization for Homes RI. HNRI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, country of ancestral origin, religion, disability, familial status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or status as a victim of domestic violence. Whenever practicable, HNRI will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by law.
About Rent Relief RI
Rhode Island has received $200 million in rent relief funds from the federal Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Program. This program will provide rental and utility relief payments to help eligible renters maintain housing stability and is to be administered by RIHousing. HNRI has been selected to provide application processing and outreach services.
Overview of Position
HNRI is seeking dynamic and service-oriented individuals to process applications for Rent Relief RI. Application Specialists will be responsible for reviewing applications, verifying eligibility and documents, and bringing applications to the point of completion. This is a public-facing position that will interact with tenants, property owners, and external partners.
• Review assigned applications and ensure all required supporting documentation is provided
• Evaluate applicant eligibility in accordance with all program guidelines
• Provide initial determination for approval and communicate with tenants, property owners, and community partners if action is required on their part to complete an application
• Determine the final disposition of applications
• Maintain accurate records of each applicant interaction using web-based portal
• Promptly and courteously respond to applicant inquiries on application status
• Participate in training on the Rent Relief RI program to understand eligibility requirements and online portal
• Collaborate with other HNRI staff members and external community partners to resolve issues with applications and provide high-level customer service to applicants
• Additional duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Qualities:
• Ability to learn and understand program rules and guidelines
• Commitment to providing quality customer service ensuring all applicants are treated with respect and courtesy
• Dedication to completing work accurately, efficiently, promptly, and seeking input to improve
• Written and oral communication skills: ability to type notes and document interactions, comfortable interacting with people over the phone and through email, and effectively convey information
• Bilingual or multilingual with English (speakers of Spanish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole (Kriol) are most desired currently)
• Culturally sensitive and committed to principles of equity and inclusion
• Ability to problem-solve and adapt to rapidly shifting priorities
• Proficiency in using computer applications and technology including Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and others
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a temporary, non-exempt position that is full-time (40 hours/week). Compensation
is $21/hour. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, paid vacation/sick/holidays, employer sponsored 403(b) retirement plan.
Work Hours and Schedule: HNRI hours of business are Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm. Work will generally be conducted from the office. There is flexibility to work outside of normal business hours – a mutually agreed upon schedule that accommodates the duties of this job can be arranged between the employee and their immediate supervisor with approval from the Executive Director.
Supervision: This position will report to the Executive Director.
Equipment and supplies: The Housing Network of Rhode Island is an open office with cubicles. The employee will be furnished with an individual cube, laptop (with Microsoft Office Suite), and landline telephone with wireless printer access. The building has a gate-entry parking lot/street parking, accessible entrance with ramp, and an elevator. It is accessible by public transit on the RIPTA R-Line.
Other Important Information: This position is temporary and funded through December 31, 2021
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to HR@housingnetworkri.org. Please include the position title in the subject heading of your e-mail. Applications are due by 5:00pm on Friday June 18, 2021.