The Community Health Worker is a member of the community health team; an interdisciplinary team comprised of Community Health Workers, Behavioral Health Clinicians and practice-based Nurse Care Managers. The Community Health Worker works closely with the core team members to support patients who are dealing with complex medical, behavioral health and/or substance issues as well as social determinants of health, and require a more intensive home and community-based intervention. The Community Health Worker plays a critical role in assessing patient needs, offering community resources and referrals, providing navigation, support, care coordination, and ongoing case management to meet those needs. The Community Health Worker visits patients in their homes and in the communities in which they live, providing culturally sensitive approaches to health information to improve health literacy. The Community Health Worker facilitates the patient’s decision-making and self-management to help patients engage in their overall health and achieve their health goals. Additionally, this individual will be responsible for tracking patient related activities, monitoring and documenting progress. The Community Health Worker works collaboratively with the primary care team to promote patient-centered care and actively participates in multidisciplinary patient-centered team meetings. The Community Health Worker has frequent contact with many community agencies on behalf of the patients served, networking and collaborating on resource identification to improve the overall health of the population.
Reports to Manager, Community Health Team
• High School diploma and a combination of training and skills to effectively carry out responsibilities and assignments (such as previous experience working with patients in a community-based setting).
• Certification in Community Health Work or working toward certification within 12 months. Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related health sciences field a plus
• Experience working with primary care providers or in other healthcare settings.
• Experience working with patients regarding managing their health, navigating systems, providing care coordination and health coaching is preferred.
• The ability to travel to various locations in the state and reliable transportation is required.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment to achieve program goals.
• Ability to relate to patients and build trusting relationships.
• Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, patients, family/care givers, and partner agencies.
• Strong time management and organizational skills. • Exercise sound judgment and decision-making. • Ability to assess and differentiate priorities.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Full Job Description
LINK HERE for full job description by categories
Please LINK HERE to South County Hospital Jobs site and search for “community health worker”