Housing Search Assistant
Providence Housing Authority
Full Time, Permanent
Bilingual Spanish Required
To provide housing search assistance to all eligible participants in the Housing Choice Voucher Program and other rental assistance programs as well as connecting participants to supportive services to assist with integration into the community.
Essential Tasks of the Position:
- Assess housing barriers of individual and families experiencing homelessness as well as victims of domestic violence to determine housing and service needs.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the client’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and or maintain housing.
- Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (ie.: tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors.)
- Provide information and referral assistance regarding available support from appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs.
- Assist participants in development of a strength-based/solution focused individualized goal and action plan that promotes permanent housing and self-sufficiency; develop an effective timely referral network in order to ensure ongoing direction and support as needed.
- Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate clients of their rights and responsibilities.
- Maintain accurate daily logs records, monthly outcome reports, and files for each client.
- Conduct presentations about the Housing Search Program during briefings.
- Conduct outreach to landlords to develop a list of landlords and units that are available for participants receiving housing search assistance.
- Assist landlords with accessing PHA landlord incentives and work as liaison with other landlord incentive programs.
- Work with Strategy & Development Team with marketing with PHA’s Housing Search Assistance Program.
- Complete all appropriate monthly and annual reports as directed.
- Maintain a complete working file providing activity documentation and copies of all corresponding paperwork.
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Associates Degree in Human Services preferred plus two years related experience.
- Experience working with low to very low-income participants in subsidized housing.
Experience in Related Field
- Knowledge or understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities.
- Concentrated record keeping, budgeting, and mathematical skills; ability to produce required reports to federal, state. and local government agencies and funding sources.
Knowledge, skills, abilities, licenses and certifications
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) required.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, mediation, and writing skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload.
- Detail oriented to complete requirements of files and contract compliance.
- Creative thinker/adaptive personality.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources, social service agencies, and landlords.
- Experience with computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of population served.
- A commitment to empowering others to solve their own problems.
- A conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
- The ability to establish and set appropriate limits with persons served to help them gain skills and confidence.
- The ability to work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals.
- The capacity to maintain a role to empower clients and to intervene appropriately to meet service goals.
- Valid driver’s license and a car.
How to Apply