Conexion Latina Newport
Full time 40 hours + benefits
Pay Rate: $20.00-22.00 hour based on experience
Start Date: August/September 2022
Based in Newport
Under the direction of Conexion Latina Newport (CLN) in conjunction with the Newport Health Equity Zone (HEZ), the Bilingual Community Health Worker will work for and in the Hispanic community in Newport, to create and foster access to all of their health needs, including all needs related to COVID-19. They will also build and foster relationships with local health and mental health organizations and
entities to aid them in becoming more in-tuned and competent both culturally and linguistically. The Bilingual Community Health Worker will be required to participate in, and complete, the state Community Health Worker certification program, which can be done while working. This is a grant funded position for 40 hours a week, for a period of 3 years (2 years remaining), starting November 1st, 2021, with potential for renewal.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
● Identify ways to develop and sustain trusting and respectful relationships with community
● Articulate and advocate for the needs of community and individuals to staff, program partners,
local health providers and businesses
● Promote wellness by providing culturally appropriate health information to residents and
● Plan, coordinate and implement community health events such as vaccination clinics, health
fairs, workshops, etc.
● Work in the CLN office and provide supports as needed by walk-in clients.
● Build individual capacity to achieve professional development. This will include:
○ Participate in and complete Community Health Worker Certification Course
○ Participating in weekly meetings with supervisor
○ Participate in meetings with other community health agencies and partners
○ Participate in relevant RIDOH and HEZ workshops
● Keep CLN staff updated and in the loop about resources, community issues and new initiatives
● Demonstrate progress through program assessment and evaluation
● Carry out all aspects of project promotion including; conducting outreach for events, groups, or
meetings through ways that account for specific and unique needs of the community
● Core Competencies: Bridge cultural and language gaps between individuals, communities,
government, and health care and human services, by supporting ongoing learning and
understanding of cultural and language considerations and barriers
● Work to eliminate barriers and advocate for systemic change through creating sustainable
programs that actively engage resident voice and community partners
● Bring inspirational presence, reliable leadership, and enthusiasm for CLN’s mission and vision to
community meetings, task forces, and other strategic sites.
● Complete monthly reporting requirements
● Fully Bilingual English/Spanish required (speak, read, write)
● A resident of the Newport Hispanic community will be prioritized
● Comfort working with diverse populations
● Flexibility and willingness to grow in response to community needs or changes in the field.
● Strong problem solving skills
● Ability to work both independently and as a team member
● availability to work occasional evening or weekend events
● Ability to effectively build relationships with a wide variety of constituents including youth,
parents, other residents, health and human services professionals, and decision-makers at all
● Ability to apply creative and critical thinking to improve existing strategies
● Strong computer and social media skills
● Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
How to apply:
Submit letter of interest and resume to Conexion Latina Newport via email no later than August 22,
Conexión Latina Newport (CLN) was founded in 2019 in response to the inequities and vulnerability of
the Hispanic Community living in Newport and their lack of access to basic resources needed to meet
their daily needs. We work as a connector between community members and local agencies and city
entities such as schools, city hall and community health and wellness organizations, to break down the
cultural and language barriers that hinder their access. We also work with agencies and the city to build
better systems and competencies to better serve the community, and the city as a whole. We advocate,
educate and build relationships for long term change to systemic issues.
CLN is a Hispanic, bilingual, woman lead organization, which prioritizes the hiring and employment of
The mission of Conexion Latina is to educate, inform, mobilize and advocate for all Hispanics in
Newport, as well as advise and partner with social services, education and government
agencies, on how they best meet the needs of the Newport Hispanic Community. Through
relationship and trust building, we will bolster needed services, ensure accessible systems, and
create the communities confidence to access those services.
Conexion Latina Newport envisions a better, healthier and more fulfilling life for Hispanics living
in Newport. We will continue to work with the community to create a prosperous, healthy and
confident lifestyle that includes education, access and community involvement. Newport will be
a city where all public Government, community and educational agencies will be capable of
meeting the needs of the Hispanic community, will be fully accessible and will be a comfortable
place for them to receive and give help and support.