The Village Common
Salary: $25 – $27/hour
CHW Certification Preferred
The Village Common of Rhode Island (TVC) is a growing non-profit working to change the experience of aging for all Rhode Islanders by fostering and sustaining ‘villages’; communities of mutual support where neighbors help neighbors. Learn more about The Village Common https://villagecommonri.org/.
The Outreach Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Executive Director and TVC Volunteers to support the outreach and engagement efforts into specific underserved communities, in collaboration with an Outreach Team, with a focus on serving Latinx community or Spanish speaking residents. The Outreach Coordinator will be an important member of the team by assisting in recruiting volunteers, developing partnerships, and working with persons and organizations in underserved, low-income communities. This is a part-time, hourly position for 25 hours per week with flexible scheduling for one calendar year.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Develop outreach plan in collaboration with community members and partners (Examples: YMCA; Health Insurers; Cities of Providence, Pawtucket and Woonsocket; Meals on Wheels; Maturity Work;, Food Banks; Churches; etc.) for older adults in identified, under resourced low income communities across RI
- Engage in community building efforts in target neighborhoods and in elderly housing
- Collaborate with Coordinators for Retired and Senior Volunteer Programs (RSVP) to link older adults to one another for mutual aid and support
- Work to improve the health and well-being of aging adults by connecting them to health and social services, providing social support, and helping them to advocate for their health needs
- Maintain program data and submit all required reports
- Attend agency meetings / trainings as requested
- Work under limited supervision, use professional knowledge and experience in making decisions and assessment, and ensure adherence to grant goals and objectives
- Set priorities in consultation with Executive Director and manage time to ensure the effective use of all resources
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency (speaking, reading and writing) in English and Spanish required
- Interest in working with older adults; respect for aging and the aging process
- 1-3 years of experience in community health or outreach
- High level of interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills
- Ability to convey complex information in a clear and understandable manner
- Organizational skills to include managing multiple activities; ability to prioritize projects of varying complexities; ability to meet required timelines
- Ability to effectively work independently and in collaboration with multiple staff, and programs and external partners
- Experience working with and outreaching to diverse populations
- Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Health, Education, or related field strongly preferred. High School diploma or GED required. Combination of education and equivalent work experience to meet needs of the position
- Community Health Worker Certification preferred
Please send a resume and a cover letter that explains your interest in this position to email@example.com. Please put ‘Community Health Worker’ in the subject line.
The Village Common of Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that our organization must reflect our goals for diversity in our villages and that a diverse organization where everyone feels comfortable being themselves will be a long-term advantage. We welcome all and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or veteran status.