Blackstone Valley Community Health Care
$17.25 to $28.75/ hour
CDP, CPRS, or CHW preferred–*Required within 18 months*
The Community Health Worker is a member of the Community Health Team and acts as link to community-based organizations to facilitate patient access to health/social services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Functions as part of integrated multi-disciplinary model of care with an emphasis on patient engagement, patient centered and culturally sensitive care delivery, and population health approach to improve health outcomes, reduce excessive utilization of health care resources, and improve the patient experience of care.
- Accepts referrals to the Community Health Team from other members of patients’ care teams in a timely manner.
- Engages with patients, assesses patient needs, and refers to services to address social determinants of health.
- Collaborates with members of the patient care team to assist with care coordination, achieve care plan goals, and to support self-management of chronic diseases.
- Identify and help patients resolve barriers to social services and health care.
- Performs outreach to high-risk patients in the community, conducts home or community visits.
- Maintains timely, accurate records, documentation, and reports as required.
- Off-site travel will be required.
- Represents the organization with a positive, professional attitude when communicating with patients and visitors.
- Works well with others and has the ability to discuss issues that come up with staff in a professional manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, & SKILLS
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a social science, research or public health-related field preferred.
- High School diploma and a combination of training and skills to effectively carry out responsibilities and assignments (such as previous experience working with patients in a community-based setting).
- Certification as a CDP, CPRS or CHW preferred.
- Experience with accessing social service resources, healthcare navigation, or case management preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating System and Microsoft Word required.
- Experience working with patients regarding managing their health, navigating systems, and providing care coordination is preferred.
- Reliable transportation required
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish, Portuguese or Creole speaking abilities preferred
- Cultural sensitivity necessary to work with a diverse patient and staff population required
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively required
- Knowledge of computers and electronic medical records required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written required
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position operates in a professional health care office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and fax machines. Also, routinely uses medical equipment necessary for successful completion of job duties.
The physical demands described are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee must be able to sit for long periods of time and operate a computer. The employee is often required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle, feel, or squeeze; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to lift up to thirty-five pounds, tolerate moderate to high levels of stress, and coordinate multiple tasks at one time.