- This event has passed.
CHW Public Health Training
May 17 to July 19
Wednesday evenings from 5:30-8:30 pm
CHWARI is excited to offer this NEW training in Public Health to Rhode Island CHWs! This training is for certified CHWs only (or those currently applying).
Community Health Workers will:
- Acquire a deeper understanding of the areas of public health and relationships between health of individuals, organized entities, and systems.
- Gain the skills necessary to advocate for systems-level change towards improving public health in RI.
- Have a working knowledge of RI Public Health infrastructure and how the CHW role fits into it.
- Understand career/educational options in public health and the skills and educational opportunities necessary to advance and be successfully employed in these areas.
- Understand how individuals are impacted from systemic racism and social determinants of health; where they live, learn, work and play.
Training Modules Include:
- 1.The CHW Role in Public Health
- 2.The Impact of Place on Health
- 3.Essential Skills and Knowledge Base (two modules)
- 4.Public Health Policy
- 5.RI Public Health Infrastructure
- 6.CHW Careers in Public Health
- 7.Using Case Study (or, Storytelling)
- 8.Final Presentations & Debrief
The virtual Public Health Training will run over Zoom on Wednesdays, from 5:30pm – 8:30pm, from May 17 through July 12, with an in-person final class on July 19, 2023, accompanied by dinner, in Gaige Hall at Rhode Island College. There will be 23 hours of in-class time and approximately 7 hours of assignments to be completed in non-class time. There will not be a class on July 5 but there will be an assignment that week.
Attendance is required at all class sessions. Deadline to Apply is Tuesday, May 9th at 5pm. If you have any questions, please email Dimaura Tavares at email@example.com.
This FREE training is funded by the Rhode Island Department of Health and is delivered by the Community Health Worker Association of RI housed at the Institute for Education in Healthcare at Rhode Island College.