- This event has passed.
LGBTQ+ Healthcare for CHWs: Allyship as Primary Prevention – Session 1
April 5, 2023 : 9:00 am – 10:30 am
The 2-part series is called LGBTQ+ Healthcare for CHWs: Allyship as Primary Prevention. Session one will take place over Zoom on 4/5. Session two will take place in person at East Bay Community Action Program in Riverside, RI on April 12. You must attend session one to keep a spot in session two.
Session 1 – zoom
The first session is a virtual meeting focused on mostly didactic learning. It will be hosted on zoom 4/5/23 from 9-10am, with additional Q&A time from 10-10:30am. Quinten Foster, MS, Director of Transgender Whole Health at EBCAP will present. After the first session, participants will
- Be familiar with the terminology associated with LGBTQ+ Healthcare and Intimate Partner Violence Prevention
- Will identify and understand common SDoH and other societal factors that lead to poor physical, emotional, and interpersonal health in the LGBQ+ and Transgender communities
- Will identify interpersonal and systems-level strategies for staff advocacy and allyship on behalf of LGBTQ+ patients.
This event is designed with the various roles of community health workers in mind. However, it is also appropriate for a variety of other professionals, such as: medical personnel, mental health professionals, educators, professional advocates, allied health professionals, human & social services professionals, Peer Recovery Specialists, and others who work in the health and human services fields. This session is focused on professionals supporting the LGBTQIA2S+ Community at work, and is therefore not suitable for parents/guardians (or other loved ones of LGBTQIA2S+ identified people) who do not work in these fields. Professionals do not need to serve the LGBTQIA2S+ community directly or primarily to attend.
Register for this meeting by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Register for 4/5”
The zoom link for the meeting is here:
Meeting ID: 819 9567 8477
Session 2 – in person, in Riverside RI
The second session will be a live and in-person workshop dedicated to more in-depth application of the material. You must attend session one to come to session two. Space in session two is LIMITED.
After the second session, participants will:
- be able to define and use LGBTQ+ terminology appropriately
- will be able to support the needs of LGBTQ+ patients through conversation, advocacy, and referral
- will be able to discuss systemic discrimination against the LGBTQ+ community and simple changes that all healthcare professionals and organizations can make to better support the community.
To express interest in Session 2, please email: email@example.com, subject line “Session 2.” You must attend session one to keep a spot in session two.
Date: April 12, 2023, from 8:30am-10:30am
Location: East Bay Community Action Program’s Dennis Roy Building
100 Bullocks Point Avenue, Riverside RI 02915, second floor community room
Participants should utilize street parking in the neighborhoods surrounding the health center, as parking lot space is both limited and reserved for patients only. An accessible entrance and elevator are available for any participants in need. Signage will be visible inside the building to direct participants to the second-floor community room.
This learning opportunity is supported by the Deborah DeBare DV Prevention Fund.