ONE Neighborhood Builders
Salary: $50,000 – $58,000
Full Time, Knowledge of Central Providence
Central Providence Opportunities: A Health Equity Zone (CPO-HEZ) seeks a Community Organizer to support the implementation of the Central Providence Roadmap, a 10-year vision for collective community impact. By serving as the backbone of Central Providence Opportunities: A Health Equity Zone (CPO-HEZ), ONE Neighborhood Builders brings to bear its community development, convening, resource development, and financial management capacities.
The Central Providence Roadmap is the first comprehensive, community-built collective impact plan focused on the nine neighborhoods in 02908 and 02909 zip codes. The Roadmap was developed with input from more than 60 community organizations, civic leaders, and residents of Central Providence. The Central Providence Roadmap is about collectively imagining – and working together to realize – a future with greater health and economic equity. It recognizes and aims to build upon the assets and potential in Central Providence – dedicated community members, innovative programs and services, and a shared commitment of organizations and residents to work together toward shared goals.
Helmed by the Managing Director of Central Providence Opportunities, the CPO-HEZ team leads the vision for and implementation of the Central Providence Roadmap. The Community Organizer is a new role and will report to the Assistant Director of Collective Impact.
Specifically, the Community Organizer will:
- • Organize and mobilize community members as advocates for themselves and their neighbors.
- • Support the development of advocacy agendas and organizing strategies in line with the Central Providence Roadmap.
- • Build active, collaborative partnerships with local organizations.
No staff supervision required.
1. Organize and mobilize community members as advocates for themselves and their neighbors.
a. Help manage, set agendas for, and facilitate the CPO-HEZ Resident Advisory Council (RAC), and work with the AD of Collective Impact to strategize about RAC engagement with the CPO-HEZ Working Groups and Steering Committee
b. Recruit additional new RAC members
c. Assist partner organizations in mobilizing residents around advocacy agendas
2. Support the development of advocacy agendas and organizing strategies in line with the Central Providence Roadmap
a. Create communication materials that advance advocacy agendas/organizing strategies, including digital and social media campaigns
b. Represent CPO-HEZ and ONE|NB at community meetings (i.e. neighborhood association meetings, elected official meetings, and variety of community town halls)
3. Build active partnerships with local collaborating organizations
a. Help to facilitate CPO-HEZ Working Group meetings
b. Build and coordinate relationships with community organizers and equivalents at partner organizations
c. Help to develop and implement strategies to keep CPO-HEZ partners engaged and informed of Roadmap progress.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This position does not have any formal education requirements; a successful community organizer will benefit from lived experience as much as learned experience. However, a few skills and values are required for this role:
- • Excellent verbal and written communication
- • Fluency in at least two of the languages spoken in Central Providence required (ideally including Spanish)
- • Able to build and maintain partnerships with neighbors and staff members of collaborating organizations
- • Skilled project manager and capable self-starter
- • Adept facilitator, especially of groups that include people of many backgrounds and ranges of experience
- • Understanding of the challenges facing and opportunities within Central Providence
- • Understanding of the policy issues relevant to the Roadmap, or willingness and capacity to learn, and ability to translate those policy issues and advocacy agendas into actionable organizing strategies and clear messaging for residents
- • Keen understanding of the landscape of nonprofit and grassroots organizations in Central Providence
- • Commitment to racial, health, and economic equity
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ONE|NB offers a robust benefits package (including health, dental, and vision insurance), a retirement plan with matching contribution, a generous allotment of paid holiday and personal/vacation time, and an inspiring & innovative organizational culture. The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $58,000 and will be commensurate with experience. The Community Organizer will be required to work a full-time schedule of 40 hours per week, including a significant number of nights and weekends. This role offers flexibility to work remotely an estimated two days per week or equivalent. Candidates are not required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, though vaccination is strongly recommended.
How to Apply
ONE|NB works to dismantle all forms of discrimination. We fight the systems that oppress people from a vast range of identities and experiences. Cultivating a team that embodies the diverse experiences of Central Providence communities is essential to these aspirations. We strongly and sincerely encourage applications from people of color; immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals; people with disabilities; members of LGBTQQ+ and gender non-conforming communities; and people with other diverse backgrounds and lived experiences.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Anusha Venkataraman, Managing Director of Central Providence Opportunities, at email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Community Organizer Application” for your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.