West Elmwood HEZ
Bilingual, written & verbal
CHW Certification or within 6 months
One year experience in outreach
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is a vital member of the backbone agency poised to support the Health Equity Zone, to provide culturally appropriate support and resources to the 02907 community, related to COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, vaccination and service delivery. The CHW will also assess community needs and assist in distributing goods and services for COVID-19 mitigation, resilience and recovery; compliance with prevention guidelines for community members and businesses; and distribution of PPE. You will represent the agency and work with the HEZ Program Manager to develop and implement initiatives that increase agency visibility within the community. You need to be self-motivated, enthusiastic and community-driven to take on this exciting role. This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position. The typical schedule would be normal business hours from Monday through Friday with some nights and/or weekends required during special projects or events
The CHW will report to the HEZ Program Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with the HEZ Project Coordinator on COVID-19 response, to include, but not limited to PPE coordination, reporting, and project support.
- Connecting residents to the 02907 HEZ strategies and initiatives in ways that allow for genuine resident voice and governance
- Establishing and maintaining visibility in 02907 neighborhoods.
- Build upon the relationship between CHWs and 02907 HEZ population of focus through intentional outreach and engagement efforts (i.e. canvasing, hosting or tabling at community events).
- Participate on the HEZ Community Action team (HEZCAT) and other RI DOH meetings related to HEZ and/or COVID-19 response.
- Provide structured resident education through letters, phone, face-to-face encounters, and internet platforms. Engage in follow-up conversations and offer assistance to individuals.
- Utilize the Unite Us electronic referral platform in both making and documenting referrals and referral status. This platform helps to keep track of case notes and progress towards meeting client’s needs.
- Primarily focus on being the boots-on-the-ground person tasked with getting information out to the community in disseminating COVID-19 related information, support events and hand out personal protective equipment.
- Maintain accurate and accessible reports, files and statistics as required by the initiative.
- Perform additional responsibilities consistent with initiative needs and other duties as assigned.
- Community Health Workers certification preferred; non-certified incumbents are expected to earn certification within 6 months of hire date offered by WEHDC
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and at least one other language preferred.
- One or more years
’experience in community outreach and engagement.
- Resident of the 02907 zip code (Providence’s West End, Elmwood, Reservoir Triangle, or South Providence neighborhoods) is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and tasks.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office/computer skills to enter data, prepare reports and correspondence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to prioritize workflow and handle multiple projects to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and coordinate multiple tasks
- Must possess good verbal, written and telephone skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with multiple staff and partners.
- Ability to build and sustain trust and rapport with community members based on listening and respect.
- Able to lift packages of up to 30 pounds.
- Occasional travel to pick up or deliver correspondence/packages.
- Must be flexible to work between a variety of in person and virtual meetings/work.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via e-mail to Jessica Thigpen at email@example.com.
About West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation (WEHDC) serves as the backbone agency of the 02907 Health Equity Zone (HEZ). A Health Equity Zone (HEZ) is an innovative, place-based approach that brings people together to build healthy, resilient communities across Rhode Island. The 02907 community has seen a disproportionately high number of COVID-19 cases as compared to other parts of Providence and across the state of Rhode Island.
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. WEHDC is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in Rhode Island.